The University of Alaska, Anchorage (UAA) and Anchorage Opera (AO) Apprentice Program is a partnership to provide training for young Alaskan singers.
The program focuses on nurturing young performing artists living in Alaska. It is a season-long collaborative training program for young singers, with an emphasis on performance. Participants are given numerous performance opportunities backed by rehearsals that stress dramatic interpretation, musicality and polishing of solo and ensemble work. Students also have extended contact with seasoned professionals living in Anchorage and those appearing with AO as guest artists.
Apprentices perform in a variety of outreach events in the Greater Anchorage area and conclude the program with a staged production. The stage production for the 2009-2010 season is Kismet.
Opportunities for Apprentices
- Master-classes, training workshops and seminars with local and visiting artists.
- Chorus and compramario understudy roles in AO’s main stage productions.
- Education outreach presentations at public schools and other organizations servicing youth in the Greater Anchorage Area.
- Opportunity to attend main stage rehearsals.
- Administrative and production internships.
This program is open to students enrolled in the voice department at the University of Alaska, Anchorage.
For information regarding auditions and enrollment in the Apprentice program, please contact:
Professor Mari Hahn
Phone: (907) 786-1009